Fruit picking might be a bad idea for making moneyFruit picking is thought to be a popular and profitable job opportunity in Australia.
So many working holiday travelers arrive in Australia thinking that they will be able to quickly make money picking fruit and then travel Australia for a long time.
While there are some farm work and picking jobs that pay well, there are plenty of stories about workers getting low rates of pay and then having to spend most of the money on accommodation in a hostel or caravan park in a remote place.
The concern about the low rates of pay and the contravention of Australian minimum wage rates in Australia have been the subject of enquiry at the time of writing and reported in the news.
Farm work and fruit picking is important and easy if you want to get a second year visa and so here are some suggestions
- Investigate the work opportunity and the pay rate by doing the calculations yourself. Often the picking jobs will advertise high weekly pay, but the work you must to do get this pay is beyond human capability.
- Check the price of accommodation, rent, food or transport as sometimes the work will come with the obligation to stay, eat, or be transported by their services or associated business.
- Try to speak with other workers that have been there. So ask around to see to find recommended farms and picking jobs. Some are fair and some are not, and other working holiday travelers will know about it. Online forums would be good place to check.
- If you get the wrong feeling about a place, then trust your instincts
- Don't let your bank account get so low that you become desperate for any work.
So if you have checked all these about a farm job or fruit picking then go for it. There are plenty of fair minded farm owners who pay a reasonable pay for your work. You can also meet other workers to travel with. Partying, adventure and romance happen often too.
News report about farm work problems