Look at Australian state of registration when buying a carAustralia has a state based system of car and vehicle registration.
Each of the states maintain their own systems and have independent rules that relate to checks on the vehicle at the time of sale, or period checks for reliability / state of the car.
At the time of writing it is believed that the best "Number Plates" come from there states
1. Western Australia - Few checks and transfer can be done by post.
2. South Australia - Little need for checks
3. Queensland, Victoria - Safety check when the car is sold
4. New South Wales - Safety check when car is sold and regular checks over a certain age
5. Tasmania - Require vehicle check IN Tasmania at time of purchase - So you will have to go to Tasmania if you are on the mainland.
Most safety checks can be done by mobile business operators, who will do checks at your place. If you have concerns about your car or van's state of repair or if it has features that may not pass, you are best to shop or ask around for a friendly inspector. One inspector's interpretation may be different and more lenient than another.
Refer to the state transport organisation and ensure you get a vehicle with a favourable number plate.
Wikipedia page on state registration checks