Register an account on CouchSurfing.comA hight percentage of Australians are friendly welcoming type of people and there is no better way to connect with them than the Couchsurfing.com network.
Created in 2005, Couchsurfing.com was one of the original traveler's networks and membership numbers exploded around the world.
Today there are over 10 million active members and many many hosts across Australia.
It used to be possible to create an account for free, but that has become increasingly difficult as the project has become a company for various reason, and the original community of volunteers and members resent it a little.
Regardless, there is a large population of "hosts" across Australia and here are some great tips for creating your account:
- Use a fun outdoor photo
- Create a fun profile full of words about yourself, appear happy, ready to cook a meal or help out with household chores. (Hosts should not demand you to work, but its great to offer).
- Females should CouchSurf with a friend accompanying just to be extra safe
- Read host profiles carefully and the references left by others
- Write personalised requests - don't spam the request process
- Hosts in cities and tourist towns receive lots of requests, so you will have more chance of be hosted at the edge of cities and smaller towns
- Be ready to get involved. Active hosts will take you sailing, surfing, exploring, etc. They are usually very proud of their town, city, hobie or sport.
- Collect references and friends in the network to add "weight" to your profile.